Happy Shrove Tuesday. The meaning for 'Shrove' is forgiven for wrong doings. It falls on a different date each year depending on when Easter is. This year Shrove Tuesday is today 5th March, 2019.
- Another name for Shrove Tuesday is Pancake Day.
- Many people make pancakes on Shrove Tuesday and in some parts of the UK run in pancake races.
- Shrove Tuesday was the last opportunity to use up eggs and fats before embarking on the Lenten fast and pancakes are the perfect way of using up these ingredients.
- A pancake is a thin, flat cake, made of batter and fried in a frying pan.
- A traditional English pancake is very thin and is served immediately.
- Golden syrup or lemon juice and caster sugar are the usual toppings for pancakes.
- The pancake has a very long history and featured in cookery books as far back as 1439.
- The ingredients for pancakes: Eggs, Flour, Salt and Milk.
MORE FROM THE BLOG
Erin Curran, the author of The Seven, released her book in April 2019. We wanted to catch up with the new author and see how life had been treating her since she was published. Did you always dream of becoming an author? I dreamt of being a lot of things, especial...read more